FILE – Jon Jones goes between rounds against Dominick Reyes in his fight for the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship during the UFC 247 at the Toyota Center to his corner on February 8, 2020 in Houston, Texas. Ronald Martinez / Getty Images / AFP
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – UFC light heavyweight champion Jon "Bones" Jones pleaded guilty to his second drunken driving crime in New Mexico.
Court records show that the 32-year-old mixed martial artist submitted his request on Tuesday and was sentenced to one year suspended. Jones was also instructed to receive at least 90 days of outpatient treatment, maximum fines and fees, and community service.
As part of an opposition agreement, prosecutors dropped other charges for possession of an open container, without proof of insurance and negligent use of a lethal weapon.
In a statement, Jones apologized for disappointing family members, friends, and fans.
"I take full responsibility for my actions and know that I have some personal tasks to do that involve the unhealthy relationship with alcohol," said Jones.
Jones was arrested in Albuquerque last week for suspected DWI tightening, negligent use of firearms, open alcohol container, and no evidence of vehicle insurance, police said.
Police said Jones was found in the driver's seat of a parked vehicle with the engine running at around 1am. Authorities said Jones had shown signs of poisoning and there was a gun and a half-empty bottle of liquor in the vehicle.
In 2015, Jones pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of the accident resulting from an accident in Albuquerque that injured a pregnant woman. He avoided the prison sentence and was ordered to wait up to 18 months on probation.
Jones (26-1) retained his title in February by unanimously defeating Dominick Reyes.
EDITORS & # 39; PICK
Don't miss the latest news and information.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and others over 70 titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to news, download at 4am and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.